Are you in the market for a quality writing tablet?
Whether you want to take handwritten notes, write drafts of compositions, or just do some drawing and sketching, there are a few things you should keep in mind when making your purchase.
In this roundup, I’ll introduce you to some of the best options currently available and offer some advice on what to look for when shopping.
By the time you’re finished reading, you’ll know exactly which writing tablet is right for you, so let’s dive straight in!
1. Samsung Galaxy Tab S7/S7+
Best Overall Writing Tablet
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S7/S7+ is the perfect tablet for those who need to get work done on the go.
With its 5G-enabled capabilities, you’ll be able to connect to the internet at lightning-fast speeds. The crisp and sharp display is perfect for continuing your work from your laptop or for taking notes in class. The long-lasting battery life means you can craft away for hours on end without having to worry about recharging. The S pen is perfect for those who need to do a lot of writing or drawing, as it attaches magnetically to the back of the tablet and can be used as a remote control.
And with the optional keyboard case, you can have a PC-like writing experience.
What you get with the Samsung galaxy tab S7
- 5G-enabled tablet
- Crisp and sharp display
- Long-lasting battery life of up to 14h
- Premium stylus S pen
- Optional keyboard
- Seamlessly works with your phone and other devices
- Smooth 120Hz display
- Quad Speakers with Dolby Atmos surround sound
- Extremely fast and powerful
- Works even for gaming and a Bluetooth-enabled controller
- The S pen attaches magnetically to the back of the tablet and can be used as a remote control
- Create anything from art illustrations and comics
- Annotate and markup easily right into PDFs
- Comfortable keyboard case with PC like writing experience
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 is the perfect blend of form and function. This tablet is designed for those who want the best of both a device that’s stylish and powerful.
With its crisp and sharp display, long-lasting battery life, and premium stylus S Pen, the Galaxy Tab S7 has everything you need to stay productive on the go.
Try one of the best writing tablets: Samsung galaxy tab S7
2. Microsoft Surface Pro X
Best for writers
The Microsoft Surface Pro X is the perfect writing tablet for note-taking and writing.
With a built-in kickstand, you can easily position the tablet at the perfect writing angle. The Surface Slim Pen 2 is accurate and charges wirelessly, making it easy to use.
The long-lasting battery life and touchscreen make this tablet the perfect writing tool.
Why you should buy the Microsoft Surface Pro X
- Mark up edit or create effortlessly
- Built-in kickstand for the perfect writing angle
- Perfect for viewing websites movies documents and artwork
- Has a real PC like backlit keyboard built into the case
- The Surface Slim Pen 2 is easy to use accurate and charges wirelessly
- The stylus has premium pressure sensitivity with no lag
- Long-lasting battery life with up to 15 hours
- Has a touchscreen for added flexibility
- The best of both worlds edit draw write stream game
The future of note-taking has arrived! The Surface Pro X is the perfect device for anyone who wants to take their note-taking to the next level.
With a real PC-like backlit keyboard built into the case, you’ll be able to edit and create effortlessly. Plus, with up to 15 hours of battery life, you can work or play all day long.
Try the Microsoft Surface Pro X
3. Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Best runner up
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 is the perfect device for anyone who wants a powerful and efficient tablet for taking notes, writing, and drawing.
The tablet has a sleek and stylish design with a keyboard that gives you the desktop-like experience you need. The S pen is also integrated into the device and attaches magnetically to the back while charging wirelessly. This pen has excellent pressure sensitivity and is perfect for taking handwritten notes.
With its long battery life, fingerprint unlocks on the screen, and many other features, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 is perfect for anyone who wants a versatile tablet for work or school.
What you get with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 lite
- Keyboard and Stylus pen integrated
- The S pen attaches to the back magnetically and charges wirelessly
- The pen works for drawing sketching and taking handwritten notes with excellent pressure sensitivity
- Desktop like experience with the keyboard
- Battery lasts up to 15 hours
- Fingerprint unlock on the screen
With a Keyboard and Stylus pen integrated, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 is a great choice for those who want the best of both worlds. The pen works for drawing, sketching, and taking handwritten notes with excellent pressure sensitivity.
The keyboard is also backlit, so you can work in low-light conditions. The battery lasts up to 15 hours, so you can work all day without having to worry about recharging.
Try the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 lite
4. Microsoft Surface Go 3
The perfect device for busy students and professionals!
The Surface Go was made to be mobile and versatile. Its 2-in-1 design makes it perfect for writing, drawing, and taking notes. The Surface Pen offers precision and control that are ideal for artists and students. With crisp graphics and up to 11 hours of battery life, the Surface Go is built to last all day long.
Plus, it’s customizable with a variety of accessories to suit your needs.
Why you should buy it
- Portable 2 in 1 touchscreen that’s perfect for writing drawings and taking notes
- Has the premium Surface Pen sensitivity that we love
- Crisp touchscreen
- Up to 11 hours of battery life
- Customizable with accessories
- The Surface Go Type Cover (the keyboard) lets you write comfortably
Whether you’re jotting down notes in class or drawing inspiration from a colleague, the Microsoft Surface Go 3 is the perfect writing tablet.
This ultra-portable 2-in-1 features a crisp, responsive touchscreen with up to 11 hours of battery life. Plus, it’s customizable with accessories like the Surface Go type cover, which lets you write comfortably.
Try the Microsoft Surface Go 3
5. Asus Transformer Mini
If you’re looking for a powerful, ultra-compact, and slim tablet that’s perfect for note-taking and writing on the go, look no further than the Asus Transformer Mini.
With a detachable keyboard and long-lasting battery life of up to 12 hours, this tablet is designed for comfortable use whether you’re typing, drawing, or taking notes. It also has built-in audio with five speakers to immerse yourself in music while you work.
The active stylus has great pressure sensitivity for that perfect doodle, and with USB microSD and micro HDMI ports, you can easily connect to all your favorite devices.
What you get
- Ultra-compact and slim writing tablet that’s lightweight and travels friendly
- Has a detachable keyboard
- Long-lasting battery life of up to 12 hours
- Built-in smart hinge and kickstand for comfortable use when typing drawing or taking notes
- Built-in audio with five speakers to immerse yourself in music while you work
- Fast and snappy performance
- The active stylus has great pressure sensitivity
- Great connectivity ports with USB microSD and micro HDMI
Writing tablets have never been this slim and lightweight. The Asus Transformer Mini is a great device for note-taking on the go. It’s also great for drawing and sketching with the active stylus.
Try the Asus Transformer Mini
6. Apple iPad Pro
Are you looking for the ultimate note-taking and writing tablet? Look no further than the new Apple iPad Pro.
With its breakthrough M1 chip, it outperforms any other tablet on the market. Plus, with its 5G wireless, you can stay connected no matter where you are. And the best part? The Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil let you create endlessly anywhere.
So whether you’re taking notes in class or writing a novel on vacation, the iPad Pro is perfect for any task.
Why you should buy the Apple iPad Pro
- Has the breakthrough M1 chip for excellent performance
- 5G wireless connectivity for smooth workflow
- Has arguably the best screen with an XDR Liquid Retina display for extreme dynamic color range
- The magic keyboard and Apple pencil lets you create endlessly anywhere
- The pen attaches magnetically to the iPad Pro with premium tilt and pressure sensitivity
The new iPad Pro is here and it’s better than ever. With the new M1 chip, 5G wireless, and the best screen with an XDR Liquid Retina display, this iPad Pro is perfect for anyone who wants the best of the best.
Get yours today and start taking notes, writing tablets, or anything else you can think of.
Try the Apple iPad Pro
7. reMarkable 2
Best for handwriting
The future is here and it’s paperless!
Stop lugging notebooks around and wasting trees. The reMarkable 2 is the latest and greatest paper tablet that feels just like writing on real paper. It replaces all notebooks and printed documents with ease and converts handwritten notes to text. Plus, it has an insane 2 weeks of battery life!
So ditch the notebooks, print less, and go green with the reMarkable 2.
What you get with the reMarkable 2
- A next-generation paper tablet that feels just like writing on real paper
- Replaces all notebooks and printed documents with ease
- Converts handwritten notes to text
- An insane 2 weeks of battery life!
- organize all your drawings and handwritten notes across devices
- Eye friendly without backlight glare or eye strain
- Read web articles with a click
- The ultimate tablet for note-taking and handwriting notes
The reMarkable 2 replaces all notebooks and printed documents with ease. With the click of a button, it converts handwritten notes to text and lets you easily organize all your drawings and handwritten notes.
The reMarkable 2 is truly the ultimate tablet for note-taking and handwriting notes.
Try the reMarkable 2
8. BOOX Note Air 2
Best budget handwriting experience
The BOOX Note Air 2 is the perfect tablet for effortlessly taking notes, writing, and learning.
With a durable aluminum case and light slim portable body, the BOOX Note Air 2 is perfect for carrying with you wherever you go. The magnetic Boox pen offers an excellent handwriting experience so you can write, draw and sketch with ease.
With its Paperlike display, the BOOX Note Air 2 provides a natural paperlike writing experience that makes taking notes and learning easier than ever before.
Why you should buy the BOOX Note Air 2
- A paperlike tablet for working and learning effortlessly
- Great build quality that lasts with a durable aluminum case
- Light slim and portable with a 5.8mm body
- The magnetic Boox pen offers an excellent handwriting experience
- Write draw sketch and annotate easily
The BOOX Note Air 2 is the perfect tablet for those who want to work and learn effortlessly. With a paperlike tablet, you can write, draw, and sketch with ease. This tablet is also light, slim, and portable, making it the perfect tablet for on-the-go use.
Try the BOOX Note Air 2
9. XP Pen Artist Pro 16
Best for artists
The XP-Pen Artist 15.6 pen display was designed with one purpose to give you the most natural and intuitive experience possible when creating digital art.
With its lightweight and sleek design, comfortable-to-the-touch smooth corners, and high-quality glass design make it a pleasure to use. The high-precision screen and HD IPS display deliver life-like colors, greater contrast, sharper, and more vivid images.
The 6 fully customizable express keys create a highly ergonomic and convenient work platform.
Why you should buy the XP Pen Artist Pro
- Lightweight and sleek design and feels as professional as it looks
- Slim 11mm profile makes it light and portable
- High-quality glass design with a high precision HD IPS display
- Delivers life-like colors and great contrast
- 6 fully customizable express keys create a highly ergonomic and convenient work platform
- P05 stylus is durable and fits comfortably in your hand with 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity
- The battery-free stylus works just like a real pen
- Easily accessible brightness adjustment button
Professional, sleek, and light as a feather, the Artist 15.6 pen display was designed with you in mind. Its high-quality glass design and 11mm profile make it not only look great but feel great too. And with the battery-free stylus, you’ll have the power and control you need to create beautiful pieces of art.
So go ahead and let your creativity flow—the XP Pen has you covered.
Try the XP Pen Artist Pro 16
10. Wacom Cintiq 16
Best for professionals
Finally, a device that merges the art of drawing with the technology of the digital age.
The Wacom Cintiq 16 is perfect for artists and designers who want to make their ideas come to life. With its full HD display and anti-glare film, you’ll enjoy great clarity and no distracting reflections.
And best of all? The pen has been precisely designed for a comfortable grip while it simultaneously draws power from the tablet, so it requires no batteries or recharging.
What you get with the Wacom Cintiq 16
- Full HD display for crisp clarity
- Anti-glare film prevents reflections
- The pen has been precisely designed to make it comfortable to use.
- The pen draws power from the Wacom Cintiq which makes it battery-free
- Adjustable display with smart touches
The Wacom Cintiq 22 is the perfect display for artists and creatives. With full HD clarity, this display is perfect for getting those high-quality drawings down on “paper”.
Try the Wacom Cintiq 16
11. Simbans Picasso Tab 10-inch
Best for effortless doodling
The Simbans PicassoTab drawing tablet is the perfect tool for artists on the go!
The standalone design means there’s no need to hook it up to a computer, and you get all of the accessories you need in one package – including a drawing glove and screen guard. Plus, the pen has a long battery life of 1000 hours!
The tablet also has cool palm rejection technology for better workflow, making it easy to avoid accidental strokes. And for expanded possibilities, it runs on Android OS.
What you get
- Draw anywhere as the PicassoTab is standalone with its all in one package
- The pen has 1000 hours of battery life
- The tablet has a palm rejection technology that avoids accidental strokes
- An android-based drawing tablet, when you’re not drawing, watch Netflix!
The Simbans PicassoTab is the perfect drawing tablet for anyone who loves to be creative. With its standalone design, you can draw anywhere you want.
Try the Simbans Picasso Tab
Why use a writing tablet?
A writing tablet is a great alternative to a laptop or desktop computer for many reasons. Perhaps the biggest advantage of using a writing tablet is that you can take it with you wherever you go.
Since they’re lightweight and portable, they’re perfect for students, entrepreneurs, and copywriters who need to take handwritten notes or write on the go.
Writing tablets are also great for drawing and sketching. The pen-to-paper experience is much more natural than using a stylus on a screen, and the high-quality pens that come with most writing tablets make for a luxurious writing experience.
How to choose the best writing tablet for you
Not all writing tablets are created equal. Here are some factors you’ll want to consider when choosing the best writing tablet for you:
Size: How big do you want your writing tablet to be? Some tablets come in small and large sizes, while others are only available in one size.
Type: Do you want a digital writing tablet that connects to a computer, or do you prefer a handwriting-only tablet?
Stylus: Does the pen style and feel matter to you? Some pens have soft tips while others are more like a traditional pen.
Functionality: How many functions do you need your writing tablet to have? Do you just need a place to write and draw, or do you also need it to store your notes and files?
Best writing tablet for writers and copywriters
When it comes to finding the best writing tablet for writers, you want to make sure that you get something that’s comfortable to hold and easy to use. Something with a nice weight to it is always great, as it gives you a sense of control and authority as you write.
You’ll also want to consider the size of the tablet; if you’re someone who likes to take handwritten notes, a larger tablet might be the better choice for you.
And finally, think about what type of surface you want your notes or drawings to appear on. Some tablets have a glossy finish that can be a bit hard to work with, while others have a more matte texture that’s easier on the eyes.
Best writing tablet for taking handwritten notes
Which tablet is best for writing notes? When it comes to taking handwritten notes, you want a tablet that’s going to make the process as smooth and easy as possible. You’ll want something with a good amount of space to write on, and that doesn’t fray your pen tips.
If you’re often on the go, you’ll also want something lightweight and slim that won’t take up a lot of space in your bag. Our top pick for the best writing tablet for taking handwritten notes would have to be the
Best writing tablet for drawing and sketching
If you’re looking for a tablet that can do double duty as a writing tablet and sketchpad, you’ll want to consider options with a stylus pen. The Wacom Cintiq is a great option if you’re looking for something that’s both versatile and durable.
It’s perfect for artists and designers who want to take their work with them on the go, and the high-quality pen ensures that your sketches and notes will look as good as they do on paper.
Which tablets can convert handwriting to text?
The reMarkable 2 tablet is one of the most popular writing tablets on the market. It’s beloved by students and professionals for its ability to convert handwriting to text. This tablet has special software that makes the conversion effortless, so you can easily edit and share your notes with others. The reMarkable is also one of the thinnest and lightest tablets on the market, making it a great choice for people on the go.
Whether you’re a student, an entrepreneur, or a copywriter, having a writing tablet on hand can be really helpful for taking handwritten notes, writing drafts, and drawing and sketching.
Not all writing tablets are created equal, though, so it’s important to choose one that’s right for your needs. We’ve rounded up the best writing tablets for writing and handwritten notes, drawing and sketching, and taking notes on the go, so you can find the perfect one for you.